Sometimes CrashPlan may display error messages such as "Service is currently unavailable" or "Code42 cannot connect to it's background service". This is typically because the CrashPlan service is unable to run.
First, check to ensure that your operating system is still supported - an out-of-date operating system can commonly cause these problems. We support the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2019 Standard
- Windows Server 2016 Standard
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- macOS Catalina 10.15
- macOS Mojave 10.14
- macOS High Sierra 10.13
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5
- Ubuntu 18.04
- Ubuntu 16.04
If your operating system is not the issue, this problem can often be resolved with a simple uninstall and re-install, which will ensure that your application is up to date and will not affect the status of your backup or integrity of your data.
Steps for Windows:
- Open the Control Panel and select Uninstall a Program.
- Select Code42 CrashPlan and choose Uninstall.
You may be prompted that another user on the device is signed in. If another user is signed in, it may prevent the Code42 app from uninstalling completely. We recommend coordinating with other users to ensure all users are signed out of their accounts before continuing.
Steps for Mac:
- Open the Finder.
- Press Command+Shift+G.
A dialog box appears: Go to the folder.
- Paste this text into the dialog box:
- Installed for everyone: /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app
- Installed per user: ~/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app
- Click Go.
- Double-click Uninstall.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
Steps for Linux:
- Download the Code42 app.
- Uncompress the TGZ file in Downloads.
- Open Terminal and enter: cd ~/Downloads/crashplan-install
- Press Enter.
- Then enter: sudo ./uninstall.sh -i /usr/local/crashplan
- Press Enter.
- At the prompt, type YES to uninstall and press Enter.