CrashPlan for Small Business sends email warnings and alerts to help you stay informed about the status of your backups. When you receive a backup alert, you will want to check the status of the Code42 application installed on your device.
Step 1: Open the Code42 app
You can locate the application on your device by doing the following:
- Windows: Search for "Crashplan" in your Start Menu and select Code42 CrashPlan.
- Mac and Linux: Locate Code42 CrashPlan in your device's Applications folder.
Step 2: Determine if backups are running
Opening the app will bring you to the Home screen, where you can see backup sets and your destinations. Green checks next to the destinations mean that backups have completed recently. When the backup is running, you will see a circle with a percentage number next to the backup destination, such as the CrashPlan Pro Online Cloud or a local external drive.
If you are unsure of the status from the information displayed on the Home screen, you can view the History log, which will give you more detailed information on the Code42 app's recent backup activity. You can open the History menu using the following steps:
- Windows and Linux: Tools > History
- Mac: Window > History
The History window includes timestamps and events CrashPlan has logged, such as "Completed backup" or "Unable to back up [# of] files". This information can help you diagnose backup problems, or it may confirm that the Code42 app is functioning properly.
Step 3: Take Action
If backups appear to be completing normally:
- Backups may have been interrupted temporarily during the time of the report, but have since resumed.
- There may be a communication issue between the application and the CrashPlan Pro Online cloud. You can open the command line interface in the app to issue a command to restart and reauthorize the application.
- Press Shift + Control + C (Option + Command + C on Mac) to open the command line window.
- In the command line window, type the following command: restart
- Press Enter. The Code42 app will close. Reopen the Code42 app and sign back in if necessary.
If backups are not completing:
- Try Uninstalling and reinstalling the Code42 app
- Check your network to make sure you have a stable internet connection
- Check security software (such as anti-virus or firewalls) and make sure the Code42 app is not being blocked.